It already comes with the rubber strap to hold fifth in, although he says it is still pretty rare that it wants to pop out.
I was budgeting about $1000 for gas on the way back, hopefully it ends up somewhere around there. I am giving myself about a week and plan to take it slow, but i can stay out longer if something comes up. I will definitely be picking up some spare gas cans, what is the tank size likely to be on this?
Yep a house truck, will be our second. I have seen mr sharkeys page, and the classic rolling homes book. We can't afford to build a regular house now, and love the mobile lifestyle, so parking one of these on some land is the plan for now.
I hope to restore this one a bit as well, and hope to keep the box on back fairly classic in styling and accessories.
The legality of driving it back seems a little fuzzy. It is currently registered as a pickup, i plan on registering it as an rv once i get it back to oregon. I will be getting a trip permit in IL to drive it back on. Seems like if it is registered as an RV I definitely avoid the CDL and DOT card requirements. As for the drive back, I am not using it for commercial purposes and with the intention of it being registered as an rv once i get it home, i may be relying on the lenience of any officers who want to check it out.
I found an agent for progressive that will insure it, and even offered roadside assistance, any of you have any experience with this? Apparently the roadside assistance gives you free towing for 15 miles, or to the nearest service station if none are within 15 miles. I am thinking if I need it towed, could i get away with a large rollback, or will something this size need to go on a lowboy or similar?
Looks like it will be a family trip now, my dad has decided to join me, and we'll be picking up my brother in Salt Lake if all goes well. it will certainly be and adventure.
Lebn