Hotrod Lincoln,

no power brakes here and no need for other vacuum other than to suck in PCV fumes.

But you say "Run a 3/8" diameter vacuum line to the port in front of the distributor" - what port is that? You mean the back of the carburator as that is the only vacuum port I have if you looked at the pictures. It is the tap off the back of the carb. Or are you saying that other flat spot between the carb and distributer?

Well you say "If necessary, drill and tap the vacuum port in the manifold to 3/8" pipe, and install a tee with reducers down to 1/4" NPT on both sides. Run the power brake hose to one side and the PCV hose to the other."

So now you want me to drill the manifold in the rear upper runner? And you are cutting the vaccum down to 1/4 inch? I am not sure that is enough for PCV? Also if you do not use the vacuum tap on the back of the carb then you are using the vacuum in the general intake plenum/runners specifically only connecting to cylinders #3 and #8 (the rear High Runner). That would lean out those two cylinders and also send all the crap from the PCV only to those cylinders. I think that is really just for Vacumm and not for hooking a PCV to. Vacuum is one thing, a constant contaminated infow of air is another and would cut down on your vacuum if you needed it for something. I converted my vacuum wipers to electric so I do not have any vaccuum needs now.


Am I missing something with the vaccuum port on the intake runner? In general that sounds bad to use for a PCV vacuum.

I could use the port on the back of the carb as I have been as that just leans everything out and you adjust the carb for that.

I was trying not to cut into the CHEVROLET Scripted valve covers but I could if that is better as a PCV source. I guess the original 350 had the Breather on drivers valve cover and the PCV on the other Passenger cover. So it kind of vented across the block front corner to the opposite back corner.

The old 283 in 57-58 vented front intake valley area to rear valley area to road tube. Which I was trying to do by drilling a hole torwards the rear of the intake.

Your way would go from the breather in the oil fill in the intake valley to the passenger rear end of the valve cover. That may be good for the passenger side for ventilating but may not do anything for helping to clear the drivers side valve cover.

I guess I could run two lines one off each valve cover rear. But then there may also be clearance issues as the spark plug wires are suppose to pass thru that area when i put the original style plug wire retainters on it.


I need to figure out the best approach to this PCV valve arrangement that will work and look OK and not cause more issues.

This is one that looks kind of what you were talking about. comming off the back of the valve cover but with a tube to a hose (to the PCV I guess): 283 Valve Covers on a 350 Engine with that one he says: "The smog hose routes behind the distributor (hiding the smog valve at the rear of the manifold) and comes up on the driver's side, attaching to the rear of the carb via a fitted hard line."

It is also posted here with pictures inline : 283 valve covers on a 350 complete

But I do not think that would work with the stock 283 tin script covers as they ramp in on the ends more. There would be no room for the baffle he made for his more virticle covers.


Here is someone elses solution, like what I am thinking of doing but it did not work for him. But it looks like his baffle under the intake manifold was too small and had too big an opening for oil to get into possibly. He ended up putting the tap off the valve cover with a baffle in it instead. Vintage intake and valve cover install

Last edited by svwilbur; 04/12/2011 7:14 AM.