APV60, I just did my driver door last week. First off do NOT be afraid to bend the little tabs back and take it a part. Its a simple job.
I found the coil spring that is inside the "cover" and that pushes the latch tongue back when you open the door. It had broken and luckily I had a spare latch. I opened it up, and the spring was good. I used it. The handle now sits up pretty nice BUT if I had it to do again, and I might still do it, I would have went to Ace Hardware, or somewhere else, and got a NEW spring that had loss NONE of its tension as I still have a slight bit of sag.... while you got it a part also look at the square hole the handle goes through. It could possibly be "rounded" out?

When you get it apart, clean/brush/sand the tongue and the "housing" so that it slides back and forth real smooth. Then I put a light coat of grease on it, as well as a drop of 3in1 machine oil at the other moving joints. It works real good now.

Sorry, I did not take a picture of it while I had it apart! But, it is simple. Go for it.


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile