Al, on car forums the highly opinionated say "My Holley/Edelbrock can beat up your Edelbrock/Holley" just like on arborist forums people say My Stihl/Husqvarna can beat up your Husqvarna/Stihl".
On various street rods I have had both Holley and Edelbrock carbs and both worked fine. Holleys make a little more peak power,leak, blow power valves and don't stay in tune and Edelbrocks don't make quite as much power, don't have power valves, don't leak and hold a tune forever. They both get the job done. To me, for street use Edelbrock is more practical and for race use Holley is a little more powerful.
If Edelbrock recommends a specific fuel pressure, I would go with their recommendation. They know what works on their product and they want you to be happy so they can get some more of your money.
As for the plumbing issue, if it were mine I would do whatever is easiest and makes the cleanest looking, operational, leak free setup. Personally, I don't see adapting three different types of fittings to each other as a clean looking solution because so many pieces are required although it definitely can be done. And if you don't like it, it can be redone.
I'd be glad to show you via emailed photo what a 3/8" steel hardline looks like with a 1406 on a SBC. It is plain and simple, assets to some beholders and not blingy enough for others.
This is the view of an old school and old (66 years)guy but to me all the billet gadgets hanging all over some engines make them look like wedding cakes, trying really hard to be noticed. To me, all that billet stuff is like mechanical breast implants.