I have a 56 6100 that I have been building for heavy use as you are, so braking and safety as well as availability of replacement parts are most important. So I contacted the guys at http://www.abspowerbrake.com they were very friendly and knowledgeable. I let them know my gross vehicle weight the size and type (drum/drum) of brakes and the bore size and number of wheel cylinders at each end. Armed with this info they set me up with a bolt in frame mount that uses the original pedal a hydro-boost unit and appropriate master cylinder that they claim will provide superior braking power and safety over the original system.
As I have made the decision to upgrade to power steering at the same time I then contacted the folks at http://www.agrperformance.com as I decided on using their Rock Ram steering assist with a power box from a scout two. I let then know the specs on the hydro-boost unit and the set me up with their rock ram, a high output pump built specifically for the system as a whole and hoses and fittings that should cover all my plumbing needs.
Grigg on the other hand has vast fabrication skills he built the same system minus the rock ram for his 48. He built his own bracket and acquired the parts needed from wreaking yards for medium and heavy duty trucks. I am sure Grigg did it much cheaper than I but not sure how much I spent about $1200.00 on the total brakes and steering.


The difference between men and boys is the price of their toys.
Grant from Roy, Washington
1956 6100 Chevy Dump Truck in the Gallery
1964 GMC Drump Truck in the Gallery
user
http://s1301.photobucket.com/user/56Taskforce/slideshow/