So I’m prepping everything in anticipation of getting my short block back this month. I bought on of those front motor mount shields that wear thru on all the 216’s and was disappointed in the way it was made. Soooooo, I decided to make my own. I know, I know, who’s gonna see it right? I’ve heard that from more than one source but after all, this restoration is for ME and I’ll see it!
A few pixs of the front motor mount shield as it was supposed to be from the factory:
http://www.pbase.com/dennygraham/under_hood&page=16 Got some new bolts comming from Chevy Duty but they didn't have the locks either. And again, who’s gonna know if I used the proper flywheel locking method or not? ME, that’s who’s gonna know. Man, now I can sleep at night knowing all is right.
And a few pics of the proper flywheel bolt locks.
http://www.pbase.com/dennygraham/under_hood&page=17 Being a kind of particular guy about some things, I wanted to use my original clutch. The pressure plate was not heat checked or scored and the fingers didn’t show any wear either so all I needed to do was verify that the pressure was correct and that it released smoothly. That checked out just fine, so moving to the original clutch disc it also looked like new so I wanted it relined. They bead blast the core, check for cracks, coat with a rust preventative and relined it with a VelveTouch facing. Back a half century ago, when I was a young parts man and speed nut, a VelveTouch clutch was the hot set up and all the racers around our area used them. Not that I’m gonna go racing or even haul anything heavier than my “big old wife” bit I can rest easy knowing that I got the best clutch holding the driveline together.
http://www.pbase.com/dennygraham/image/128167927 Well, that’s what I’ve been up to for the last few weeks while waiting for the short block to be rebuilt. Having the engine bored for new alum pistons, rods reworked for inserts, touching up the crank, new bearings, and new timing gear. Hoping she will give me another 60,000 miles of good service. At my 3,000 miles a year average, that should hold me for the next 20 years or till they take my driving privileges away.
Look forward to meeting some of you at KC this week.
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL