Old Sub and Grigg,
I would love to just have a number for the brownie, it would make life easier. But alas the plate on the side seems to be gone. I haven't completely degreased it, there is a nice layer of dirt and gear oil covering portions of the box, but I don't really think the tag is there anymore. From pictures I found on the web I would say that it is a 6xxx spicer, 3 speed under/direct/over.
The truck's use is probably going to be moving my tractor between my house and my father's house and moving old cars that I have a tendency to bring home, with the occasional use of my fab business to move steel stuff (gates, weldments, material, etc...). Mostly it will spend it's life on slow mountain roads. I wouldn't mind going to newer axles but seeing what you had to go through to get a front axle (narrowing and all) and the fact that I would need different wheels and a host of other things the expense starts to outweigh the somewhat better drive-ability. Not that I am closed to the Idea but it might take some talking to change my mind. I've read your write-ups on this topic and love your truck and what you've done but finding some of the parts you're using for a reasonable price is a bit difficult at best and the front axle narrowing is a difficult process as well. If there was a possibility of swapping the P-30 spindles on the stock front axle I think it would be a more appealing swap, is there any possibility of this or is it totally out of the question?
The 6BT/12 valve Cummins is the motor I am looking at. The completely mechanical nature of the motor and the large availability of it and parts makes it a natural choice to swap. I've done quite a bit of reading over at 4btswaps.com and it really seems like the best fit for the AD trucks, power and size.
So this is where I am thinking about going, please let me know what your thoughts are. I am always willing to listen and if the argument is good enough then I might just change direction slightly.
Oh, by the way Grigg, you're Detroit powered 10 speed is the cat's meow. There is an original Detroit powered GMC dump truck that runs around in my area that is the coolest thing to hear coming up the driveway to deliver gravel.
Thanx,
Jaysin