I still don't understand how a torque tube would notice any difference between a mild 261 and a 235.
What kind of disaster is bound to happen?
Please ellaborate - never heard or read anything about that before.

I can only go by my personal experience so far:
I have a daily late 235 with duals in and out pushing my trusted original transmission, torque tube and 3.55 rear for the past 11 years and over 100K miles.
I go regularly for hours at 2500-3000 rpm on the freeway without any strain and have been up and down dirt roads and poorly paved mountain passes plenty.
I was always very relieved to have something pretty indestructible under my seat.

I should know all about weaknesses in early drivelines:
The first 50K and 5 years the clutch, transmission, u-joint, oakie bushing and 4.11 gears ALL were in terrible need of replacement.
None of the original parts could be rebuilt, they were so worn out! Still they held up for all these years and miles in that condition, before I could afford to replace them.
Unbelievably TOUGH these early drivelines!
Even far beyond the point of repair, they just kept going reliably. True story.


Thanks for all the upgrade advice and pointing out trannies that will just bolt up to the engine. Sounds like an option many have experience with.

I just like 10s-40s cars and trucks in general and their original technology. It's a lot more than their outside appearance to me.

If I would prefer higher power engines, later trannies, drivelines, suspensions, power steering, disc brakes, etc ... I would simply acquire a later model truck or car ond enjoy it as is.


On the road every day...
1952 Truck - 235
1948 Coupe - 261