Hi guys,
I posted some questions about this truck a while back and got some great responses and great information. So now that I think this project is going to happen I have more questions for you.
The truck I have is a
51 Chevrolet 6500 , as the title says, and the original engine and transmission are long gone but on the plus side it has a three speed brownie box and a single speed rear. The plan I have is to repower it with a Cummins 12 valve motor and five speed out of a dodge truck which should be more then enough for the type of driving and hauling that I plan to do with the truck. I have done many engine swaps and I am a fabricator by trade so this part of the project is no sweat.
The couple of questions I have. I have been asked by my pops to find out about power steering for it but I have also read on here that a well rebuilt front end steers just fine, what people's thoughts here? If I do want power steering is there something that can be adapted either a later steering box or a power assist ram like I have seen on some other (slightly later) medium duty trucks? The Cummins is heaver then the stock motor so power steering might just be welcomed.
Can someone tell me the easiest way to determine the gearing of the rear end (maybe a stamped number on the pumpkin)? I could just jack up a wheel and count the number of turns of the drive shaft but I'm lazy and would also like something slightly more accurate. This truck had (from the factory) a two speed rear (I think) but somewhere along the line a single speed pumpkin replaced it and I would imagine that the brownie box was added around the same time. All this is for is to determine if it is geared suitably for the diesel.
And on to brakes. I will rebuild or replace wheel cylinders, brake shoes and lines as needed but the master cylinder... I could rebuild the hydrovac and replace the pedal actuated master but I think that I would really rather just do away with all that and go to a more modern dual master and either vacuum booster or hydro-booster under the floor. What size bore will be needed with a modern master cylinder? As I understand it the original is 1 1/4" but is that the M/C at the pedal or the M/C that is run by the hydrovac unit? And with a dual M/C system would I need to go bigger/smaller bore or stay the same?
The link to pictures up top goes to my Flickr album for this truck and has pictures of it in it's original resting place and slightly newer pictures of it since I pulled it out and pressure washed it. Heres a link to another stovebolt I put back on the road too,
37 Chevy 1/2 ton Pickup Thanx for any input that you can give me and I am sure I will have more questions in the future.
Thanx
Jaysin