I have a 1948 GMC 3 ton with a Clark five speed crash box. I am collecting parts to rebuild this trans in the near future. I prefer to have a spare trans to rebuild, ready to bolt in during restoration.

A boy if offering me a Clark out of a 1948 Ford COE, says a "352 Mercury" bellhousing. Not familiar with those. No photographs just yet, early negotiation stage, working on getting my ducks lined up, trying to get the boy to read numbers off the transmission tag.

I am sure the input shaft will be different but I have a spare GM input shaft and bearing retainer cover for my 202V Clark trans. Not so sure about a Ford bellhousing bolt pattern for an old Clark. I have a couple of manuals on this Clark but, as expected, no mention of the bellhousing bolt pattern; lot of nice diagrams, rebuild instructions and all, but no distinction on brand name differences.

I am researching, have been for over a year, not much of anything out there on these old crash boxes, 202V - 205V era. I need to decide if to buy the boy's trans as a bolt-in replacement or buy simply to salvage internal parts as needed, if at all. This will determine a price to pay.

Any of you know if Clark used one bellhousing bolt pattern for all brands or if the bellhousing bolt pattern is different between GM, Ford, Dodge and the rest?

I would surely appreciate your information or wild guesses, maybe some related examples on this topic.

Thanks, Billyray

Last edited by Billyray; 04/05/2010 5:25 PM.

1948 GMC 3 Ton Flatbed
1952 Chevy 1/2 Ton Panel
1956 Chevy 3/4 Ton NAPCO