Today I drove the '54 burb to Grand Prairie to the local Inliners meeting. It's about 150 miles round trip.
While driving through Weatherford my heater motor wire shorted out on the ranco valve and filled the cab with smoke. I turned the heater switch off and it stopped the damage.
Then going through Arlington I noticed I needed gas real bad so I took an exit and ran out of gas. I coasted around the corner and stopped at the pump.
I got back on the road and shortly thereafter the alternator quit working. The temp wasn't rising so I kept on to my destination.
I had an enjoyable breakfast with the Inliners then moseyed outside, lit up a Cuban, and popped the hood. I found a wire broken off at the terminal.
I drove it home that way. Then I put the battery on charge and put a new terminal on the broken wire. Fire it up and the alternator works.
Next I rewire the heater motor all the way back to the ignition. Hooked it up and turned the switch. The amp gauge went to 50 discharge and the heater motor groaned. Looks like time for a new motor.
All in all, I had a great time playing with my old truck today.