Thanks for all your help! I asked about this on the GMC trucks forum and those guys were a little "abrupt" with me. Got a little good info and several posts asking why I'd get rid of the original V-8 and go to a 270. Hey-the truck is no longer pulling a 7,800 pound trailer so I can live with a bit less power,and I LIKE A SIX.
BTW-at the same time I put this 270 in,I'm installing a Saginaw 4 speed;I found out it'll cost me $40.00 to shorten the front section of my driveline,but then I discovered a front half I pulled from a '71 Chevy van with a 292/3 speed stick. The yoke fits mt 4 speed,and it appears to be about a foot shorter (I measure a 10" difference in length between the SM420 and the Saginaw.)
I also got some measurements from the crossmember and the bellhousing. The crossmember has 2 sets of holes,one set is 17-3/4 inches apart;these are the ones I used with the V-8. There were another set 12 inches apart,I assume for the "light duty" 270 with the small clutch. The spacing of my 270 bellhhousing bolt holes is about 15-1/4 inches,(I think that's what I measured) so it looks like I'll have to punch a couple of holes in the crossmember.No biggie.
Does anyone out there have a pic of the throttle linkage for a 57 with a six? If I can see how it's supposed to work I may be able to duplicate it.
I'm thinking really seriously of changing to a cable assembly from a chevy pick up.
Anyway-rather than questioning my motivation,you guys jump in and help. No wonder I love this site!
Speed


1954 GMC 350
1957 GMC 1/2 ton
1962 Chevy C-30
1952 Chevy 6400 dump bed project truck
'98 Harley FLSTC
'66 Pontiac Catalina
'76 Chevy 1 ton Duallie
'84 Bronco II
'78 Dodge W-200
'81 Toyota 4X4 truck