squeeze is right... "low" "average" and "high" refer more to the condition of the vehicle... There are descriptions that set the general requirements/qualifications for what is low, average, and high. Even the "low" classification is a very very nice running truck...
The stated values, if you choose to look at them from the defined context of what they are, are not unfair values... The jam I am in is simply that the regional title office staff does not have the authority to take me at my word, that the condition of ~my~ truck is below that of the "low" condition for NADA...
I've found any number of people that will give me the appraisal I want for $150 to $200. But, I'm better off spending that money on a higher value bond, than a low appraisal... At least if I have a high valued bond, and the wost case happens, then the cash value of the bond pays for a much nicer truck then mine will ever be.... (Depending on the type of bond I get... Some types of bonds are like insurance... Other types of bonds are like bail-bonds, where if you actually skip bail, the underwriter for the bond pays the state, but tracks you down to pay them back or else... I would really need a low appraisal if I wasnt getting a surety bond underwritten as an insurance policy... )
http://www.nadaguides.com/default.a...;c=10&vi=89068&z=75034&da=-11953 Chevrolet 3100 1/2 ton pickup (NADA's online price guide does not make 3 window vs 5 window cab distinctions, for example, which are important distinctions that really sigificantly effect value/pricing in many case...)
Original MSRP: $1,407
Low Retail Average Retail Value High Retail
$5,675 $11,900 $26,200
Low Retail Value
This vehicle would be in mechanically functional condition, needing only minor reconditioning. The exterior paint, trim, and interior would show normal wear, needing only minor reconditioning. May also be a deteriorated restoration or a very poor amateur restoration. Most usable "as-is".
Some of the vehicles in this publication could be considered "Daily Drivers" and are not valued as a classic vehicle. When determining a value for a daily driver, it is recommended that the subscriber use the low retail value.
Note: This value does not represent a "parts car".