Bill, I'm a biggot for the Advance Design and earlier trucks... But I've seen your Apache in real life... You cant be calling that truck a poor restoration, right? That's a first class truck in my book...

You're absolutely right that the NADA "values" dont reflect real-world street rates... The context of those price guidelines are "dealer" level trades... I'm pulling numbers out of thin air here, but I'll bet out of every 1000 non-parts-operating-condition "stovebolt" era trucks bought and sold in real life, less than 20 of those go through dealers... Of those 20, with the overhead of dealer margins factored in, I bet very few are under 5000... In other words, direct owner to owner or owner to dealer trades are where the action is, but those are the "wholesale" prices... The "retail" prices are the dealer level asking prices...

So yes, the numbers are way skewed...

What would be great, is if there was price/value guideline "authority" that states could use, that was based on "street" value, not "dealer" value...

North Carolina appears to have such a resource, in the "Value Schedule" they apparently use for sales tax and/or bond valuation purposes. But, in North Carolina, if your vechicle doesnt appear in their "Value Schedule", then you have to get ~TWO~ appraisals from North Carolina dealers. (It says dealers... not appraisors or insurance adjusters, but dealers...) I guess in this case, at least I'm lucky I only need to get 1 appraisal. I think my insurance agent gets back from vacation soon, so I'll find out soon what help I can get from him. I'm hoping there wont be a charge for the appraisal, and that it would be based on what he would pay for a "claim" on the current condition of the truck...

Last edited by MacX; 12/16/2009 5:26 PM.

1953 Chevy 3100
Father and Son project
In the Stovebolt Gallery
46 GMC 303 1.5T