[Dec 22nd: I found a local dealership that was glad to help me out... They have a 51 1/2 ton on their lot that they got as a trade in a couple months ago... They use it to draw people into the lot, in parades, and just for fun. The general manager there appraised mine for $1000.
Here's their truck:
http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/ab100/macx/Other%20Bolts%20Around%20Here/DSCI0223.jpgThanks Everybody. Should be smooth sailing now to getting my title.
]
Does any stovebolter out there happen to be a vehicle dealer or insurance adjuster willing to appraise my truck from pictures on the web?
I'm looking for a low-cost (or free...) appraisal, confirming my opinion that the value of this truck is $1000 to $3000.
The purpose of the appraisal is to set the value for the required surety bond to get a bonded title.
I'm trying to keep the cost low to title this truck. I only paid $650 for the truck, so while I'm still shoping for a local professional ($200 for an appraisal so far is too rich for my budget...), I thought I'd try Stovebolt. I dont want to tow-bar it to a dealer, or have to spend the money to rent a trailor to tow it to a dealer. No luck so far shopping locally for someone with a low price to appraise a vehicle they dont get to buy or sell.
I have the form that the state of Texas wants filled out. A dealer or insurance adjuster number is required.
I can get the bond eligibility application approved at the $12,000 NADA average retail value, but that translates into a bond price that, again, is more than I hope to spend to title the truck.
The pictures of the truck are here:
http://s853.photobucket.com/albums/ab100/macx/The truck does not run, the engine is in unknown condition... Visually, the engine looks in great condition like it has been rebuilt... but in my book, the retail value of a rebuilt engine that does not have a warranty or guarantee, is the value of an engine core.
It has had some rust in the past, like floorboards that have been cut out and patched with generic sheet metal... It's value as a restore-able-to-original body is close to nothing... for a daily driver with dents and dings, it's great... but to ever have that showroom look again, none of the sheetmetal is ready... repair/refurbish would cost about the same as replacement with new. No serious rust issues remain, though. It has chrome running boards, but they do have rust pits and enough rust damage to the finish that "showroom" quality is not acheivable with evaporust and rubbing compound... They look great as-is on a beat up old rusty truck, but have little resale value above normal rusty dinged dented running boards.
The wiring harness/electrical system is a lost cause... It had a dead 12 volt battery in it, a 6 volt coil installed, (and a 12 volt in the parts pile), a dead 6 volt generator, and cut or missing or burned wires all over. The story as told by the seller, was the guy that sold it to him rebuilt the engine and started/ran it under 12 volts without converting the necessary componenets to 12 or installing the voltage reducers and resistors where needed... Other than the wiring system is un-usable as is, I cant find evidence to support or contradict that story... The engine does look rebuilt, but I'm not conviced that it has ever been started since then.
The seat is worth $100 or more, no doubt. Brand new upholstory on the seat, but stained a little because it was installed back in the cab where the disintigrating headliner was falling from the rusty roof.
Wheels are not original, and do not match each other, tires only hold air, they are not serviceable. Most of the wheels have at least 1 or 2 broken lug bolts. Front and rear suspension is good. Original brakes, restoreable with minimal replacement, but non operational as-is.
Radiator looks new or rebuilt. Rusty water in it though, and since the engine doesnt run, I dont know if the radiator leaks or not.
To sum up, here is my opinion. The truck is worth more than the $650 I paid for it, but not more than $1000 as whole, at the moment. 3 years from now, by the time the bond expires, I hope to still have less than $3000 invested in it, and if it's running and titled, then it would probably cost me up to $6000 to replace it quickly, but I'd be happy to get the $1000 to $3000 back that I had in it, in the event that the deceased owner's heirs ever came up with ownership papers and I had to cash-in my bond and give up the truck.
So, I'm looking for a low-cost (or free...) appraisal, confirming my opinion that the value of this truck is $1000 to $3000.
Thanks Stovebolters...
Keith (and Mac... father and son... teaching my boy to love and build old iron, the way my dad taught me, and his dad taught him... I'm pretty sure that Granpa Dewey knew both Louis and Henry. And you couldnt drive through Colorado in those days without driving on the roads Grandpa built, and Granpa could drive from coast to coast, and rebuild his starter or generator or transmission anytime anywhere without spending a dime... )