I believe swapping a 1-ton front axle onto a 1-1/2 truck would be possible. The spring pads and spring widths match. Actually all the specs match, including the dimensions of the axles on 3/4-, 1- and 1-1/2 ton trucks. So swapping the whole axle may not be necessary.
Since the spindle diameters match this suggests the real difference in load rating is the brakes not the axle AND that the 1-ton dually hubs would swap onto the standard 1-1/2 ton axle. Optioned 1-1/2 ton and 2-ton trucks have a larger axle and larger spindles.
Check my facts here. However the disk swaps for a 1-ton are not kits, but rather DIY projects that have been described by a couple of others on the web. The most successful looking ahve been based on 3/4-ton Dodge disks. I'd prefer a heavier brake in this application though for all I know Dodge runs the same disk on 1-ton trucks as 3/4-ton. I know in some years Chevy did or does.
On the front you loose some load capacity and possibly some braking capacity. You are also now running 8-lug wheels.
Swap a 10,000 pound Dana 70HD or GM 14-bolt under the rear and you might have a workable total solution with matching 8-lug hubs.
I may have missed something important here...
But I also have an old 4400 out back, some unused dually hubs and a Dana 70HD so I'm tempted to play this game with it.
Grigg: Your thoughts?