In the 1955 truck shop manual, I can see a picture that shows that hole, but when I skimmed though, I didnt find any specific references to it...

... and yes, it could be a clutch housing off anything that fits... I think by the serial number on the engine that the 235 is from a truck originally... but I have'nt squirrelled around the tranny yet to find numbers to look up. The linkage to the column shifter is (I hope) hooked up wrong, because it only shifts between first and second, nowhere to go when trying to drop through neutral to get to slot for 3rd and reverse... 1 reason why they hooked the linkage back up wrong is if the tranny isnt right... But the length is right... The drive shaft is the type contained inside the covered housing between the rear end and the transmission, so the length from rear end through drive shaft, transmission, clutch housing, and engine, all fits the right mounts and doesnt crowd into the radiator... I'm assuming till I prove otherwise then, that these are more or less compatible Truck parts...

If it's the hole for the timing mark, is there not a cover or cap for it? Driving in rain or water I would think would splash water right up into the housing on the flywheel and clutch, not to mention just washing the engine off...

Last edited by MacX; 11/06/2009 9:03 PM.

1953 Chevy 3100
Father and Son project
In the Stovebolt Gallery
46 GMC 303 1.5T