Thanks LG, I was thinking about rebuilding the 283. But, seeing how I'm new to this hobby, any suggestions are welcome. Would you recommend I just find another motor for it that's in good shape? Likely loads cheaper than rebuilding the 283, eh? I do plan to restore the truck, but not necessarily to original. I'll probably leave the existing transmission in it (4 speed manual, granny gear 1st) but I'd like to swap out the rear end gearing to get the rpms down a bit. I think it has 3.90s in it now but I don't know for sure. Original rear end though. If I do happen to stumble across a 3 speed with overdrive, I may consider it. The steering column still has the linkage in it, but they removed the shifter.
Really wish I could start tearing it down, but I need to buy a house with a garage first.