Well, I'm makin progress. At least I've removed more bolts. grin

Baldy, The two bolts holding the carrier bearing in had ALL KINDS of road vomit on them. It took a lot of doing to get the cotter pins out and the bolts removed, but they're out. With that, I was able to finish removing the fwd driveshaft.

I then proceeded to get up in the cab and tear into the flooring. Took the floor mat out, followed by the 1/8" foam padding (just the piece around the hump though). Under that padding (on both sides) looks to be some tar paper like what you'd put on the roof of a house. What's that for? In fact, what's all of it for, the foam and the tar paper?

Next is the gear shift knob. I'll show you a pic if need be. I'm thinking that I'll need to remove the tall stick before I can gracefully remove the trans., is this needed? At the base of the shifter I can see what looks like a huge (3" maybe) hex nut. On both sides, it looks like there are set screws. I'm thinking that I need to loosen the set screws then maybe the hex nut screws off with the shifter coming loose. Is this how it comes off?

Then alls I'll have left is the clutch linkage. Anything you all want to warn me about this task before I proceed? Bender, if I don't remove the crossmember, then I'm guessing that I remove the bolts holding the trans. to the bell, then remove the bell separately, then I proceed to work on the clutch.

You know how ice cream gets when it sits in the freezer for a loooooong time. Well, my transmission looks kinda the same way. It has that 'protective coating' on it. I can hardly see what's bolts and what's dog turds. grin

Thanks for all your continued help guys. Also, is this is too booring, should I take this elsewhere? Thanks.

Rance


66 C10 FS/LB 292/4-spd manual (I also enjoy Hang Gliding)
I'm too sexy for my hair, that's why it isn't there