Well, stir the pot boys!

Mine came apart like Laroke's (thanks for the link) with both brackets on the outside of the backing plate. So I assumed that is how it should go back. Hard to tell what's been done previously over the last 53 years.

After installing one with both brackets outside, and one with bracket on inside and outside like Cougs. I think the correct way is to sandwich like Cougs describes. This puts the spring and cable at a perfect distance from the backing plate.

If I install with both plates on the outside (my original way, Laroke way) then the spring rubs on the backing plate - doesn't look right.

Of course, all of this is very easy for me to tinker with because the differential is clean and up on saw horses in a lighted garage. grin Out on a gravel driveway I would probably have slammed it in the original way and lived happily ever after.

I'll post pictures tomorrow. I think I'll sandwich the brackets the Cougs way.