Denny,

My cab is pretty much stipped down to nothing and I can see one small spot in the lower left corner of the WS opening that will need some attention but without the WS out, it's hard to tell exactly what I'm facing but it doesn't look bad from what I can see. It sure would be nice to catch a break on that part... rebuilding that part without the proper forming tools could be a challenge.

The propane torch worked well to melt out the solder but I think you'd need an oxy/acelelene setup to apply it... you need more control than you get with the wide flame of a propane torch plus you don't have to hold the thing upright all the time.

Not sure what you're using for flux but I can highly recommend Ruby Fluid... just heat the metal so the RF bubbles when you swab it on (We used to use a small piece of rag wrapped in a 1/16 steel welding rod handle) and your tinning will be fast and complete... that's one of the best things I've discovered for tinning anything not electrical.

Tallow? Back in the day we used a shop towel sitting in a cut down gallon thinner can soaked in motor oil to lube our paddles... time (and health consciousness) marches on I guess.

As for your experience with blasting, I bought a $100 Clark 90 pound syphon feed blaster from Tractor Supply and it's paid for itself many times over. I'm sure it doesn't cut as quickly as a professional setup but I'm VERY pleased with the way it works and can see no need for me to buy a pressurized blaster. It's never clogged and I've done everything from doors to bolts with no warping or other problems. Syphon blasters also require much less volume of air to operate making it ideal for the casual user. My 60-gallon Kobalt handles blasting at 90 psi... no constant running.

Other benefits of a syphon blaster include not having to wear special protective clothing. I wear a respirator, light leather gloves, jeans and a t-shirt along with a full hood which I bought at Tractor Supply. I bought a cheap sheet of clear plastic glazing (Home Depot) and make my own lenses for the hood. You can also clear any blockage by simply holding your finger over the nozzle and pulling the trigger. This back-flushes the feed tube.

I blasted my (California origin) under-bed spare tire carried in I know less than 30 minutes and as for reliability I've not had to do any maintenence on my Clark... Highy Recommened by the Czechman thumbs_up

Last edited by Czechman; 07/13/2008 2:28 PM. Reason: Kept adding stuff and got tired of unclicking this stoopid button

Woody
Your Brother in Bolthood

My 1951 half-ton 'Ol Red

Save the VINTAGE DOOR ART! Please contribute photos.
Door Art Collection