Pop was an old school mechanic having served and apprenticeship back in the 20's. Back then a master mechanic was taught not only all of the mechanical aspects but also bodywork. I remember him telling me of repairs on wood boat tail bodies. When I was a kid in the 50's my first car was a '34 Studebaker coupe. He taught me some about body soldering on that car. I never did a lot after that one but the technique stays with you, not to mention the tools, which I inherited and still have.
Well jump ahead to now. Every time I talk with a body man I ask that age-old question, metal or plastic? I'd have to say about every professional body man that I have talked with claims that the Bondo will hold just as good as the lead if it's applied properly. Now of course you have to factor in that speed is everything in body work and 99.9% of the body men today have only read about body leading.
In doing a "restoration" I feel that if it was lead in the original joint, then it should be lead in the restored joint.
If you’re looking for that show car straightness then about the only choice you have is to do like the TV body men on the hotrod channel, get the 5 gallon bucket out, slather it on till you cover the panel and start board sanding it straight.
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL