I should add a couple of comments here:
I think someone asked where they can get replacement parts. The capacitors are the first thing that need to be replaced in an old radio. Here is a source that I use for capacitors and sometimes schematics:
http://www.justradios.com/For resistors, usually stores that sell electronic components have them. There are some mail order houses that carry them too. The volume controls and switches are more difficult to find, especially on these old AD radios. Other parts like tuning coils, mechanical parts and the IF transformers can be extracted from other GM "parts"radios.
Denny has shown some fine photos of his work. With regards to the volume control, I would not encourage the first timer to take it apart. That usually isn't strictly necessary unless there is a broken part inside. They are very tricky to take apart and put together and they are held together with little tabs. After several applications of opening and closing, the little tabs will break off. Most of the time a "noisy" volume control can be corrected with the application of contact cleaner, sprayed into the case. When this isn't 100% successful, the problem lies in the surface of the wiper contact as it has lost the special coating that it once had.
I will always be happy to assist anyone with problems that they may encounter while rebuilding one of these radios.