Denny,
I just discovered that my moderator notification doesn't work. My apologies for not responding!

There are two models of AD radios, one early and one later one. The change was around 1950. The earlier ones had the "slant back" and the later ones the straight back. The later radios had a chassis layout and back cover dimensions that were common with the other GM radios of the time.

The schematics for both radios are similar but not identical. I have the information if anyone needs it. I believe one or both are also on line at the "old Chevy Manual" site.

If you collect some GM parts radios from the same era you will have spare IF cans (Intermediate Frequency Transformers) and tuning coils. The IF cans are different between the two models and I think the tuning coils were too.

The newer model speaker cannot be replaced by the new speakers that are available today. This is because the newer speakers have frames that interfere with the chassis. The older model will take a brand new speaker like the ones sold in Wal Mart for $15.

The reproduction dials have an incorrect calibration on the front but they look good. All the plastic is available and it usually needs to be painted. Sometimes the spring retainers in the new knobs will come out when the knob is removed. this problem can be corrected with a little touch of the soldering iron on the inside of the bore.

I welcome any questions on these radios. I have done three of my five so far and I really enjoy working on them.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!