Boy Fred, I’m not to happy to hear that news. Both these radios that I’m working on are 986443 straight backed, which I believe are the later models? If what you say is true then the other guy just blew fifty bucks plus the shipping for a pair of speakers from Chevy Duty. Wonder why they are not aware of that? The old speaker VC’s are good and the cones are not torn but there is some warpage probably from 60 years of being parked along side the barn.

Lot of water has passed under the bridge since I started on them three weeks ago. Been through the agony of getting the cases de-rusted and refinished. http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2835175430098611668dThfVp
And over come a few other hurdles. http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2832221110098611668ZyUQvK
But the final results are very satisfying. http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2425713850098611668KwqcuB
Those caps on the Volume control are re-stuffed not the old ones.
http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2171783140098611668rAoPbo
It’s amazing how smooth the tuners are after they have been completely torn down, cleaned and adjusted.

Workin’ on the chassis now, all new caps, re-stuffing the filter can, many resistors replaced that were out of tolerance and some new wiring. I've got Riders vol.22-xx United Motors pages and a copy of Sams set 189 folder 4, from my referance library. The Sams schematic is a lot easier to work off of. The Radio Service manuals that the vendors sell are of no use for the 986443 chassis.

We’re gettin’ thar!

Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL


Denny G
Sandwich, IL