Hi, the problem with cast iron wheel cylinders is rust which is absorbed as soon as you open a can of brake fluid. Brake fluid should be replaced every year because of this absorbsion problem. It should be bought in small quanities as it is less likely to get contaminated if stored and reopened over a period of time. Instead of sleeving the cylinders would silicone fluid be an answer...I knowthe system must be flushed clean as silicone will not mix with regular brake fluid. Also silicone will not destroy paint if it is spilled on the finish I have heard both pros and cons on the subject of using silicone brake fluid. I used it for a while in a 36 chevy pickup I had for over a year with no problems, then I sold the truck. Thinking of replacing the fluid in my current 36 Chevy with silicone again. Anyone here have some comments on the subject. Is this an alternative to sleeving?
Another thing I was told, by an elderly mechanic, is geniune brake fluid is an excellent rubber lubricant. He would use the replaced fluid or fluid that was blead into an oil pump style squirt can and lube the rubber mounting bushings and suspension rubber bushings parts. I used that advise for years and my rubber parts under the car or truck look great and without any cracks. Just my experience, any one else heard and use this trick.