| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,105 Posts1,056,208 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Nov 2006 Posts: 324 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2006 Posts: 324 | I just came in from working on my truck doors. After removing the brackets that previously held the old style west coast mirrors,| was left with 10 1/4" dia. holes. I went to a local scrap metal dealer and obtained a 3ft pcs of copper flat bar (the type that is used as a bussbar in a electrical panel) 1/4"thick x1" wide I cut several pcs 4" long and used an end mill cutter in my drill press (looks like a router bit and is used in the machinist trade) & cut flat bottom hole and epoxied 2 rare earth magnets into these holes. 1 on ea end. I am using a Mig Wire Feed .023 wire. I lined up the the copper back up underneath the holes & held in place by the magnets imbedded into each end. The results were very good. I was very impressed. In very little time I had all the holes filled. No clamps required. On the bottom panels I cut out the rust made new patches. I installed a pcs of backup metal behing the patch. Used small sheet metal screws to hold the metal, which were removed as I spot welded along I am pleased to say that the repairs are comming along good. I was also having problems with thin metal burning out. This is info that I received from some of the old timers in my car club. I hope this info can help you as much as its helped me.
Good luck | | | |
Entire Thread
|
Repairing small, thin-edged holes
| jmmmn37 | 11/07/2007 10:26 PM |
Re: Repairing small, thin-edged holes
| 64fleetside | 11/07/2007 11:05 PM |
Re: Repairing small, thin-edged holes
| 4ontheFloor | 11/08/2007 8:28 AM |
Re: Repairing small, thin-edged holes
| Czechman | 11/08/2007 1:17 PM |
Re: Repairing small, thin-edged holes
| vickraft | 11/09/2007 12:04 AM |
Re: Repairing small, thin-edged holes
| BIG CHEVY 3600 | 11/09/2007 4:35 AM |
Re: Repairing small, thin-edged holes
| jmmmn37 | 11/09/2007 6:24 PM |
Re: Repairing small, thin-edged holes
| vickraft | 11/10/2007 9:34 PM |
Re: Repairing small, thin-edged holes
| BIG CHEVY 3600 | 11/12/2007 4:22 AM |
Re: Repairing small, thin-edged holes
| jmmmn37 | 11/15/2007 2:32 PM | |
| |
| |