Guys,
I'm doing some bodywork on the bottom of a dashboard as well as on the bottom of a door. Both places have a similar repair challenge: there are a couple holes varying in size from about a dime to a quarter (or two quarters side-by-side). It appears that these were rust-throughs as a result of water (or in the case of the dash, probably mouse urine) laying there for a long time. After clean up, the metal surrounding is fairly strong and healthy, but somewhat thin at the edges of the holes. I have access to both a good MIG welder and oxy/acetylene welding, but, given my experience with some similar spots elsewhere on the vehicle, I am concerned with blowing more holes (even though I can dial down my welder to pretty darn low) around the edges of the repair, thus making the holes even bigger. This would be a particular problem with the dash, because the repairs are coming close to the factory holes for cables, accessories, etc.
On the dash, I'm considering using some structural adhesive to attach a couple patch pieces of steel from the back; then filling to flush with filler or JB Weld. I won't have that option on the bottom of the door because I can't quite get access there from the back.
What are your recommendations? Forget this idea and try wire feed or oxy/acetylene welding, or might the patch idea work? I'd appreciate your expertise on this question.
Thanks,
Jim