Guys,

A progress report on the holes, which I've just finished successfully. Thanks again for the good advice. I found that the best results were gained by using a couple hints offered by Vickcraft, using copper backing plates when possible, but also (and even more effectively) using pieces of backup sheetmetal (.022) behind the patches. Once I tacked these in, they gave strength around the thin edges and prevented blow-through in general; and they won't ever be seen from the backside. I used my Hobart Handler 140 on tap 1 and wire speed between 25-30, with C-25 shielding gas and .023 wire. I ended up building up a lot of weld on these holes, certainly probably a lot more than an experienced and skilful welder would have; but with patience I was able to grind them down and they have come out really pretty nicely. On the bottom of the doors, in addition to filling some holes, I also welded in two small patches, wich worked well, using the copper backing sink along the seams. As far as I can tell at this point, these places will need little if any bondo work and should certainly hold well for the life of the vehicle--or at least my life!

Thanks again for the hints.

Yours,

Jim