Roy,
I have heard about that trick, but forgot all about it. I think I might just try that before sending it in for repair. Last night laying in bed after reading all the suggestions (all great ones, I will add) I thought to myself I just wonder if the vacuum motor is just slugish and gummed up from sitting and not being used for so many years. I have checked the vacuum and it is running just over a tad over 13 inch pounds.
I thought I read that's where Mr. Wiperman test them at after rebuilding them. SO, that leads me to think the motor itself has a bad seal or gasket or even a warped cover plate.
YES, I have heard about watching them fingers and such parts around them wiper motors, both electric and vacuum operated.
I think that I will try that vasoline first, no sense in spending money on things that I can live with, when there are SO MANY other items I need to spend my time and money on.
Actually, I just started driving this old truck this past weekend. I bought it a few months ago, but really haven't ran it, especially on the highway. There was no exhaust system on it when I bought it. The hrydraulic pump had a small leak and I figured now would be a good time to take it off and rebuild it and install new packing in the pump, new hoses and u-joints on the PTO driveline. It's bad enough being under a truck with dirt and everything else falling down off the frame in your eyes, then have to fight getting around the exhaust system.
I don't know if it's just because it's something different or new (to me), but it's really a total joy to drive. I could not beleive how well it ran and handled at 55/60 MPH. I had the new exhaust system installed early last Saturday morning, the kids and I put about 60 miles on it. My youngest son (8 year old) kept wanting to go again and again. He really didn't have to twist my arm, LOL
First time it's been on the open road for many years. Best part of all no problems what-so-ever. Nothing come flying out.
THEN it started to rain, I was like _____, (you can fill in the blanks)
OKAY, I admit it, I loved it. ALL OF IT! EXCEPT maybe for them darn wipers.
John