Wish ya luck Brian, are ya sure ya got the wrong thing?????
If someone were capable of producing a book showing all the under bed wheel carriers by year, body styles and capacities of all the Chevy trucks I’ll bet they could sell 10,000 right off the press. This subject comes up almost once a week here and on every other forum that I’ve been to. I was a Chevy parts man in the transition from the 50’s into the 60’s and didn’t see it all but I did see a lot. Unfortunately time and old age has robbed me of much of that information. So for the past year I’ve been clawing my way back up the tree of knowledge in search of the branch that holds the fruit of old Chevy pick-em-up trucks.
The illustrations in the parts book are only representative of the general layout of parts for group identification. Some of them are captioned with a specific year and/or capacity. So we’re still left with doubt as to exactly what the parts looked like for our particular year and body style and capacity, and when it comes to wheel carriers it appears that there were many variations.
The picture at the bottom of page 441 in the “Master parts 1929 to 1954”, shows 1951-54 Commercial, but what capacity? The drawings on the next page 442, show 1/2ton and 3/4ton Commercial Wheel Carrier, now would that be all of them? Not according to the parts listing. Here we see half dozen different possibilities. The illustration for the 3/4ton, appears to be a stake bed, not to many of us have a 3/4ton stake bed so that would mean that the illustration is incorrect for the 3604. It also appears to be an earlier model possibly before the AD? In the illustration I think we have a better chance, that appears to be a pickup rather than the panel or suburban, but what year, looks early?
When we look to the reprint of the “Factory Assembly Manual” we get yet another view of what the wheel carriers looked like. I have to assume we are looking at 1954 models in the illustrations of the under bed and side mount.
And Woo- the link you posted shows yet another take on the subject, don’t think I’ve ever seen that one before, looks more some of the newer trucks.
I don’t remember this but what exactly constitutes a Commercial unit? Is anything other than a Passenger style considered a Commercial unit?
I see “Unit Style: Double or Single” and ahh yes now it makes sense, a cab & box is a (dbl) and a suburban or panel is a (sgl).
Well every time we discuss this I learn a little more but, still, I remain perpetually confused!
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL