I was wondering... I going to run 2 1/2" pipes from the headers all the way out the back with flowmaster mufflers on my 51... and I was reading in classic trucks about a truck that was running straight pipes has anyone ever done this ?
Won't this mess up the engine or valves or effect the HP ? I always thought that there has to be some back flow, I installed a 454 in my 1986 C20 recently and ran 3' dual pipes & flowmasters and when I was shopping around for the 3" exhaust I was told from couple of shops that I should reduce it to 2" for back flow ! My buddy that has a muffler shop in town said that he never heard of such a thing and ended up running my 3" duals ( Runs awesome and sounds GREAT )

My question is can I just run 2 1/2" straight pipes on the 51 (because I think it would sound awesome) or should I have mufflers :confused:

Ive done a lot of work on the ol' 51 and don't want to mess anything up.

What's your thoughts ?


Some people are like Slinkies, Their not really good for nothing... But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

1951 3100 350 TBI Gallery Toddzilla... "$old"