In a recent post, the question was whether or not 283's were used in light trucks in 1957. I knew I had read something about that in one of my books about that, so I went back to see what I could find.
In the book "Chevrolet & GMC Light Truck Owner's Bible" by Moses Ludel, page 8 reads:
"Performance fever and the introduction of exciting new truck models like the Chevrolet's Cameo bed pickup encouraged many buyers to consider the 265 V-8 and, in 1957, Chevrolet's new and even larger 283 V-8 engine option."
Now, I read that to say that 283 V-8 could be had in the 1957 model year for light trucks (since this this is a book about light trucks).
In the book "Chevrolet Pickups 1946-1972" by John Gunnell, page 45 reads:
"Power teams remained the same as in 1956, according to a factory-issued Special Information Catalog that has also been reprinted by Crank 'N Hope Publications. This catalog indicates that a new Taskmaster 283 V-8 was used only in larger 1957 trucks. It should be noted here, however, that the sedan delivery could be had with this hotter engine, the same basic powerplant that arrived in the passenger cars at midyear."
I read that to say that anything "above" a 3600 was available with a V-8 283. To me a sedan delivery is a commercial vehicle, but still a car. That leaves the 1957 year light trucks and suburban without the 283 V-8.
I am sure that I read somewhere that although the 283 V-8 was not advertised for light trucks, that they were still available for the small trucks if they were asked for. Of course I have not found that text yet.
Anybody else have any other published information on 265 vs. 283, one way or another? Any one have a 1957 with a comfirmed original factory 283?