Hey there shipmates, how about somebody weighing in on the idle RPM for a 1965 283. Recent stock rebuild w/ hi-torque RV cam.

It's in my 58 Apache, stick shift, manual choke Holley 4BBL carb, no AC, no PWR brakes or steering.

I've got it at approx 750 or so but it seems a little rough. I referred to the 58 shop manual to set the timing at approx 4 deg advanced. It smooths out if I advance the timing to about 6 deg but it kicks the RPM up to about 1000.

At its present setting it idles OK but has a bit of fluctuation. That is, it idles OK then the idle seems to slow for ahort period then it comes back up.

I don't know what I'm shooting for but I want to get it right so I can decide if I have to tweak the carb.

As always, any suggestions are appreciated.

Many thanks.


Bodega Bob
http://www.submarinestore.com

Where's my tin foil hat?!?