Originally posted by whotmewory:
Hey, Fredstev:
No.1 Conveyor in Tonawanda?
Where the heck did you find THAT information? That's getting down to some details! Must be some library you have.
Chris in NC
No library, I worked at the Chevrolet Saginaw grey iron foundry for 36 years. At our place the 6 cylinder blocks came off of #2 conveyor during the period I was there. I think that the service six was produced on the old 7 conveyor. Our small block V8's were poured on #1 and #3 conveyors.
Bear in mind that GM (and other auto manufacturers) needed to be able to identify the source of their castings both at the engine plant and later in the vehicle. There are also shift markers and in some instances, the hour of the day the casting was poured. At our place, a flathead 8-32 screw in the pattern meant day shift, and a round head meant 2nd shift.