whotmewory - thanks for the book info. I'll check into it.

Just to clear up any confusion on these engine numbers and identifiers - I was a patternmaker at the Saginaw grey iron foundry. All the numbers and identification stuff that we dealt with was for identifying a CASTING and the date that it was cast. With just a few exceptions, marine and service parts engines, all of our output was destined for Flint, MI. Some times, these castings would sit around for weeks, or maybe even a month or so before being machined and having a ENGINE number stamped into them.

We had to be able to identify the shift, date of casting, pattern number, and part number on our castings so if there was a problem at the assembly and machining plant, or later, out in the field, we could pin down the source of the problem.

Patterns and core boxes wear from constant exposure to mold sand. A worn pattern will produce a "smaller" casting in many detail areas that may not have machining cleanup stock. Just the opposite with a core box - a worn one will produce bigger cores that introduces another set of problems.

I guess the point of this is, don't mix up casting information with machining and production information. The stamped engine number is of much more use to the customer than casting numbers.

There, I won't bore you guys any more with this stuff.