I cannot seem to clear up if the engine in my 54 Chevy is a 235 Thriftmaster, or 235 Blue Flame.

Believe me, I wouldn't be cluttering our forum with ANOTHER engine number question if I hadn't tried finding this out for myself. Not even my Master Parts Catalog or Shop Manual clear this up.

I have:

1) The engine block serial number - 0415156T54Z - etched into a machined surface located just aft of the distributor (I do know the T is for the Tonawanda Plant).

2) Engine block casting number - 3835913 GM23 - cast into the block forward of the distributor. Some sites imply the "3835913" portion indicates a "First Series 1955 head."

3) And then there's this third number - C0N1 G164 - cast into the block just aft of the starter.

What the h--- do I have here? :confused:

Cheers from NC!


Spito, spitero, huchtooey splateus!
1958 GMC Series 100 stepside
1954 Chevrolet Bel Air 4-DR sedan
1966 Chrysler Newport 2-DR hardtop