So, it looks like from Keith's online Chevy manuals then (thanks Frank) my original Blue Flame would have had a "ZE" at the end also, because this car also has the original power steering.

So sometime in it's history, an owner swapped out the Blue Flame. Anyway, this engine is strong and climbs the Appalachians like a mountain goat! Think I'll keep it. Besides, a 2-bolt valve cover probably leaked pretty badly.

Fredstev and Brendan, thanks for the casting date code and mold conveyor information (where'd you get that?).

Thanks everyone for all this help.

PS: I'm doing some "body" maintenance to clear up some minor blistering blemishing the previous resto in 1998. I've been trying the POR-15 stuff talked about in Cars and Parts last month and it works really well.

Cheers from Chris in NC!


Spito, spitero, huchtooey splateus!
1958 GMC Series 100 stepside
1954 Chevrolet Bel Air 4-DR sedan
1966 Chrysler Newport 2-DR hardtop