I'm in the process of doing just that, but with a 1 ton dually(BradB's 1 ton dually panel truck). I've got the crossmember narrowed and mounted to the frame. It's going through the paint stage now, then reassembly of the suspension pieces. When I cut the section out of the center, I cut it about a 1/4 in too wide. I then put a filler strip under the joint so the welded area was double thick and the quarter inch gap was filled with weld to insure the joints strength. In this application, the modern crossmember only needed an inch taken out so reassembly shouldn't be too tough,
Scott

P.S. OldSub, I've taken alot of pictures of the process, like you asked. I should have the front end reassembled and on the ground in a few weeks. If everything turns out, I'll burn the pictures to a CD and send you every picture I have of it.


Scott Ward

2 1948 1.5-ton Loadmasters
The red one and The snow pusher
1 1950 3100
1 1955.1 Chevy 6500
1 1954 Chevy 6500 2-Ton
1 1955 1st Series COE 5700
1 1963 K20 (454)
1 1964 C10 (350)
1 1951 1.5-ton Dump Truck
1953 and a 1956 Ford F800

Raising a teenager is like trying to nail Jello to a tree!