If you're on a budget (like most of us are) I'd recommend that you leave it stock and spend your pennies on other things for now. There are other, more important things to spend money on - especially if you are concerned about safety.

You can always lower the truck later. For now, I'd recommend you tighten up your steering (since you mentioned towing) and have your brakes rebuilt if it hasn't been done yet. You can do the brakes yourself, even if you're just getting into the hobby. That would save money and give you an opportunity to hone your mechanical skills.

Take the time to enjoy your truck. Tinker on it enough to keep it up and running safely. Don't feel pressured to slam it to the ground right away. If that's what you want to do later - go for it.

You didn't say what you would someday be hauling. I haul livestock about once a week. I wouldn't pull a heavy load on a lowered vehicle. On the other hand, most guys are just pulling a light load - like a motorcycle or snowmobile trailer. In that case, if you haven't built a street-rod that is skimming the ground, you should be fine.


~ Kimberly
My '54 ... and my '63 and a '59 F100