He's got it for sale.. altho he's not sure how much.. it was originally a 1 ton truck with a factory pickup bed on it, but he slapped a flatbed on it, and turned the bed into a trailer.

I was kinda thinking about a vehicle sutible for pulling a gooseneck trailer.. I don't really know much about diesel engines, especially not the bigger ones.. but dude assures me that this rig will pull anything I want.

He said the motor was 'new' when he put it in.. and that it had an 'air starter'.. the body of the truck is typical Western Nebraska high plains condition, no rot, orignal paint.. little surface rust here and there.. the occasional dent here and there.. but generally in good shape.

When he asked me what I thought it was worth, I told him typically, I wouldn't expect a stock truck in that condition so sell for more than $1,000 on eBay, and that it would probably be worth more to folks with the original pickup bed on it.

He started going on about how expensive those motors are.. I looked 'em up on eBay and it looks like they sell rebuilt motors with warranty for $2500 Buy It Now and I haven't seen many takers in the last 30 days.

But this is a guy who thinks the rebuilt to stock 393 Hemi in his '56 Plymouth is worth $13,000.. I dunno about that.. looks like you can buy complete running cars off eBay with that engine in it for about $2000.. I can't imagine it would cost another $10,000 to rebuild that motor! Hell, i'll bet you could get it built to the hilt, blueprinted and balanced for $5,000!

But this is also the guy who told me his mid 90's GMC topkick with the Cat diesel and 19 foot aluminum roll back was worth $20,000.. seems like he's about $5,000 to $7,000 overpriced on that, too.


an idea is only stupid if you think about it rationally.