Well after I posted this, I called WalMart (the only place open on the 4th) and the guy said, come on down i'll take it off for you.
I dropped it off, went with the wife to shop, and when we came out, the tire was off the rim, free of charge.
I get back to the house, all excited to get the new tube installed, and whadda ya know? I bust the belts on the tire getting it back on the rim.
I saw a cat on eBay selling a pair of 6.00 - 16's for $155 (including the tube) I guess my best bet will to be to quit messing around with this old crap and bite the bullet for some new tires.
Thanks for everyones help and ideas.. my big problem getting this tire off the rim was breaking the bead.
I'd thought about using the clamp method, but I don't have a clamp big enough.. the "jack on the bead" method is what i'll try the next time I try it.
.. ahh.. torn between doing it right, and the satisfaction of driving it around the yard now.. i'll bet i'm in the yard with a bumper jack and a old tire before the week is thru!