There are a lot of good reasons for hanging onto your receipts. Warrantee on parts, and showing a prospective buyer or insurance agent what you've spent are just the first that occur to me.
My truck collection is an investment in my sanity, and not part of my retirement or investment portfolio. I don't track the money I've spent eating out, or on televisions or movies or cable tv either. And I don't track the time I spend working on my trucks.
I do track investment in my house but there are significant tax issues there.
Working on the trucks and the satisfaction that comes from doing it myself or with my son or a friend are the returns I'm looking for.
Someone once questioned the investment value of time spent on old trucks, and a second guy asked the first if he tracked the time he spent watching tv. I laughed for a couple weeks.