I ran the truck to work today, and it only likes to do 42-43, so no real improvement was made.

There is still plenty of throttle left (1/2-2/3 of the travel I’d say) but if I add more throttle the engine just starts to run worse. It surges and drops a bit and makes some kind of popping noise.

I did check the timing with the engine running and it was right on (the pointer lined up with the pressed-in ball bearing), but only with the vacuum advance connected, and somehow I completely forgot to figure in RPM. I’ll need to hook up a tach or something I suppose. I’ll poke around in the manual some more and try to figure that out.

Is there any chance that, since I have a 6-volt truck’s flywheel (possibly original to the truck) on a 235 engine (that I believe was built in 1957), the timing marks aren’t correct to the engine? I don’t see why the marks would change, but I figured I’d ask just in case it’s a known issue with these trucks that I’m unaware of.


- 1948 Chevy 3600
"Fumbling about"
Follow the story in the DITY

- 1966 Jeep CJ5A
- 2005 Dodge Dakota
- 2007 HD Road King