Originally Posted by klhansen
You've never mentioned whether your truck is the original 6 volt or 12 volt. If it's 12 volt, there's a possibility that someone has swapped a 12v armature into a 6v starter. There's a difference of about .03 inches which would account for some of that play you mentioned on the shaft bushing. Your starter appears to be a 6V (at least the housing) as evidenced by the black Delco-Remy tag on it. I don't know if swapping armatures is even possible, but worth looking at. There's some good info HERE on the differences between 6v and 12v flywheels and starters. They have to be matched up (a mismatch will tear up the gears.)
You're right, I never mentioned that. The truck has been converted to 12V. I edited my "specs and details" post with that information.

The play issue is that the shaft slides forward and aft, not side to side or up and down as (from my understanding of your post) you're suggesting. However, I'll have to figure out what starter I have based on that linked information. Thanks for the link.


- 1948 Chevy 3600
"Fumbling about"
Follow the story in the DITY

- 1966 Jeep CJ5A
- 2005 Dodge Dakota
- 2007 HD Road King