I had read and heard about leaks from synthetics but though maybe I'm special somehow. Apparently not.

I changed oil grade to API SP to get the additive package that protects camshafts. This according to tests run by Lake Speed the motor oil geek. Using that grade obviates the need for ZDDP additives, he says. Perhaps there is an SP-rated oil that isn't synthetic; otherwise, I think I'll go back to VR-1 20/50 which didn't leak. Between that and Castrol GT 20/50, the previous 235 ran 200,000 miles before burning #6 piston. Oh, and a few years worth of DELO from my tanker days.

Anybody got a 0.040 over 235 piston? I'll post on the parts wanted.


1951 3800 1-ton
"Earning its keep from the get-go"
In the DITY Gallery
1962 261 (w/cam, Fenton headers, 2 carbs, MSD ign.), SM420 & Brown-Lipe 6231A 3spd aux. trans, stock axles & brakes. Owned since 1971.