In my case, crud isn't the problem as the engine only has 12,000 miles on a major frame-out overhaul.

One change I made is that I had been using a sealed up filler cap in conjunction with the factory PCV system which theoretically should have produced a vacuum in the crankcase and sucked air in all the places oil leaks out of. I finally ginned up a hose from the valve cover to the air cleaner like it's supposed to be and ran it that way for a couple hundred miles before changing from the Rotella T3 to the 10/30. I didn't notice any additional leakage on that trip but it's hard to say. Like 2-stroke Detroit Diesels these engines tend to leak when you work them hard. It's been 100 degrees most days lately so that might have an affect on leakage; causes me to leak water from all over and gets in my eyes. The last trip in hundred degree heat got me to chase down the AC gremilins that make the A/C quit after an hour or so. Found and fixed.


1951 3800 1-ton
"Earning its keep from the get-go"
In the DITY Gallery
1962 261 (w/cam, Fenton headers, 2 carbs, MSD ign.), SM420 & Brown-Lipe 6231A 3spd aux. trans, stock axles & brakes. Owned since 1971.