Originally Posted by Hotrod Lincoln
Ditto on boring the hole bigger. It would require a BIG lathe, or a Bridgeport mill and a fly cutter to open up the hole in the bell housing to fit the bearing retainer on the 465 transmission. That hole must be bored concentric with the crankshaft centerline to avoid runout and vibration problems.
Jerry
I wonder if you could do it with a boring bar like we used to bore motorcycle cylinders with.Bolted it to the top of the cylinder. I had no trouble making the overbores concentric. I don't remember what the maximum capacity was but Harley cylinders are pretty big.

Years ago the bikers across the road from me had cast up a cannon they used to shoot Harley pistons. I know this because one landed in my yard and when i took it back I was invited to share the keg. There was a jagged hole in the barn but the hay bales stopped that piston. They had enough home brewed beer to put put any fires.

Last edited by Peggy M; 05/23/2025 11:38 AM.

1951 3800 1-ton
"Earning its keep from the get-go"
In the DITY Gallery
1962 261 (w/cam, Fenton headers, 2 carbs, MSD ign.), SM420 & Brown-Lipe 6231A 3spd aux. trans, stock axles & brakes. Owned since 1971.