The used block may not need all the fancy work if it checks ok as far as main alignment, deck accuracy, etc. The last small block I put together cost me about $3000, that included the stroker crank and lower end parts, I used the original truck 5.7 rods. Hypereutectic flat tops, and of course all new cam, lifters, chain and gears, oil pump, bla bla bla. I didn't build it for high RPM and intended it for a swap in my Vette that has 3.08 gears. I decided to keep the Vette stock so I have the 383 all wrapped up with all the ports capped/plugged/taped and sitting on the engine cradle. Someday I may use it, it wouldn't take much to put it in my '57 2 ton if needed.


1957 Chevrolet 5700 LCF 283 SM420 2 speed rear, 1955 IH 300U T/A, 1978 Corvette 350 auto, 1978 Yamaha DT175, 1999 Harley Davidson Softail Fat Boy