That is because you can do your own work, lol! Me, I need access to a machine shop and truth be told, those are getting hard to find these days in some parts of the country.
For someone who does not have a local machine shop handy, might be stuck having to purchase a machined bare block. For a more than common 350 motor, I don't think it pays to try to salvage a block that is already .030 over, especially a rusty block. First you would have the shot blast cabinet charge to derust the block unless you are dunking it in evaoporust yourself. Then a mag to confirm no cracks. If it all checks out, pull the cam bearings, freeze and galley plugs and into the caustic bath and/or oven. Then the fun begins with all the nice machine work to square the decks, align the mains, bore, freeze plug and cam bearing purchase and install. As you know, machine shops charge for all of that. I have purchased a machined block in the past and it was not terrible. Its not nhra superstock level work but its not awful either. Kept a truck of mine on the road for quite a few years, even longer as it was still running when I sold it so, its an option.